Connecting Children to Home and Community Based Services

The Children and Youth Evaluation Service (C-YES) is a statewide program that determines whether a child/youth (under age 21) is eligible for Home and Community Based Services (HCBS).

What are Home and Community Based Services (HCBS)?

HCBS are Medicaid services that give children and youth with intensive care needs the choice to stay in their home and communities.

HCBS are for children who, without these supportive services, would require the level of care provided in a more restrictive setting, such as a residential care facility, nursing home or psychiatric inpatient care.

If you know a child/youth who needs assistance to be able to live in their community, they may qualify for HCBS.


How does C-YES help?   

C-YES has Registered Nurses who meet with children/youth to determine whether they qualify for HCBS covered by New York State Medicaid.

Children and youth who are not enrolled in Medicaid should be referred to C-YES to be evaluated for HCBS. C-YES also assists children and youth who seem eligible for HCBS to apply for Medicaid.

Note: Children with Medicaid should be referred to a Health Home in the child/youth's community, Call C-YES if you need help finding a Health Home in your community.


How to refer a child/youth without Medicaid to be evaluated for HCBS 

C-YES accepts referrals from individuals and providers including a parent, wider family member, doctor, therapist, school guidance counselor, CBOs and others:

Individual and families should call C-YES so that we can send you a Referral Form in the mail right away! You can mail back the form in a pre-paid envelope at no cost to you.

Call C-YES at 1-833-333-CYES (1-833-333-2937).

Providers and Organizations with secure email methods can download the Referral Form below.

Return the form to: CYESREFERRAL@MAXIMUS.COM  Be sure to include the child/youth's name and contact information!

C-YES Referral Form - English

C-YES Referral Form - Spanish  


How do you learn more about HCBS evaluations?

C-YES is available to answer any questions you may have about HCBS and/or our services. Call C-YES at 1-833-333-CYES (1-833-333-2937). TTY: 1-888-329-1541. 


Information Care Management Agencies  

The information and forms below are for State-designated CMAs use only. The form is not for use by other types of organizations or for individuals. Call C-YES if you are not certain what form to use:

CMAs may refer clients who choose to opt out of their Health Home and receive HCBS without Health Home Care Management.

Click on the links below for a PDF version of required C-YES forms

Referral Instructions

C-YES Referral Form for CMAs

Click on the link below for another required form, the Health Homes Opt-Out Form (DOH 5059) from the NYS Department of Health

NYS Department of Health Forms for Health Homes Serving Children


This page will be updated periodically. To report a problem with this website, call: 1-833-333-2937.