Connecting Children to Home and Community Based Services

The Children and Youth Evaluation Service (C-YES) is a statewide program that determines whether a child/youth (under age 21) is eligible for Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) through the Children’s Waiver. C-YES serves children/youth who do not currently have Medicaid or who opt-out of the Health Home Serving Children’s program.

For more information about the Children's Waiver, please click on the link to the New York State Department of Health website below:

New York State 1915 (c) Children's Waiver and 1115 Waiver Amendments  

For more information about working with C-YES, please click on the link to the New York State Department of Health C-YES webpage below: 

Children and Youth Evaluation Services (C-YES)  


What are Home and Community Based Services (HCBS)?

HCBS are Medicaid services that give children and youth with intensive care needs the choice to stay in their homes and communities. HCBS are for children/youth who, without these supportive services, would need care in a more restrictive setting, such as a residential care facility, nursing home or psychiatric inpatient care.

If you know a child or youth who needs help to be able to live in their community, they may qualify for HCBS.

C-YES Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Brochure – English

C-YES Finding the Right Care Manager Brochure – English


How does C-YES help? 

Children and youth who are not enrolled in Medicaid should be referred to C-YES to be evaluated for HCBS. C-YES has Registered Nurses who meet with children/youth to determine whether they qualify for HCBS covered by New York State Medicaid.

C-YES will assist children and youth to apply for Medicaid after they have been assessed and are found eligible for HCBS. When eligible for HCBS, C-YES helps submit Medicaid Applications but does not determine Medicaid eligibility.

C-YES Steps to Applying for Services – English

For questions about Medicaid and Third-Party Health Insurance (TPHI), please click on the link below:

Third Party Health Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Note: Children/youth with Medicaid should be referred to a Health Home in the child/youth's community. Call C-YES if you need help finding a Health Home in your community, or you can click on the “Find A Health Home” link below:



How do you refer a child/youth without Medicaid to be evaluated for HCBS?

C-YES accepts referrals from individuals and providers including a parent, other family members, doctor, therapist, school guidance counselor, Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and others: 

Individuals and families can call C-YES and ask for a Referral Form.  C-YES will send you a Referral Form in the mail. You can mail back the form in the pre-paid envelope at no cost to you. Call C-YES at 1-833-333-CYES (1-833-333-2937). 

Health Home Care Management Agencies must follow all steps related to the Transfer Referral Process between the C-YES and HHSC Policy #CW0007. All related documents and the Transfer Referral Form for C-YES, HH, and CMA (PDF) need to be sent securely to: CYESREFERRAL@MAXIMUS.COM   

Other Providers and Organizations with secure email methods can download the Referral Form below.

Return the Form to: CYESREFERRAL@MAXIMUS.COM Be sure to include the child/youth's name and contact information!

C-YES Referral Form - English

C-YES Referral Form - Spanish

Health Home Opt Out Form - English

Health Home Opt Out Form - Spanish


Children and youth seeking HCBS who have diagnoses that would fall into the category of Serious Emotional Disturbance (SED) are required to have a Licensed Practitioner of the Healing Arts (LPHA) Attestation form completed. This form must be completed by the LPHA or by a Licensed Practitioner who is under the supervision of an LPHA.   Please note, this form is not required to start the referral process with C-YES and can be obtained at a later date.

Please see below the LPHA Attestation forms for the SED population:

LPHA Attestation – Serious Emotional Disturbance Form (SED)

Effective 4/1/2022, children and youth seeking HCBS who have diagnoses that would fall into the categories of Medically Fragile (MedF) or Developmentally Disabled Medically Fragile (DDMF) no longer require the Licensed Practitioner of the Healing Arts (LPHA) Attestation form. 

Please click here to learn more about the LPHA requirements and target criteria for each population type.


How do you learn more about HCBS evaluations?

C-YES is available to answer any questions you may have about HCBS and/or our services.

Call 1-833-333-CYES (1-833-333-2937). TTY: 1-888-329-1541. We can help in all languages.

Llame al 1-833-333-CYES (1-833-333-2937). Número de TTY: 1-888-329-1541. Podemos ayudarle en todos los idiomas.

請撥打 1-833-333-CYES (1-833-333-2937)。TTY 使用者撥打:1-888-329-1541。我們可提供所有語種的協助。

Rele 1-833-333-CYES (1-833-333-2937). TTY: 1-888-329-1541. Nou ka ede nan tout lang.

려면 1-833-333-CYES (1-833-333-2937)로 전화하십시오. TTY : 1-888-329-1541. 저희는 모든 언어로 도울 수 있습니다.

Позвоните по номеру 1-833-333-CYES (1-833-333-2937). Для лиц с нарушениями слуха: 1-888-329-1541. Мы можем помочь на всех языках.